Here, we’ll cover what TRX suspension training is to help you decide if TRX workouts are right for you.
What is TRX Suspension Training?
Created by Randy Hetrick, a former Navy Seal, the TRX system features a single-point suspension anchor that forces the body to stabilise from the bottom up.
With a series of straps, foam handles, and foot cradles, TRX training focuses heavily on using body weight as resistance throughout each move. Each exercise also calls upon serious balance to maintain stability and keep the straps and your body still and in control.
How Does TRX Work?
TRX workouts are a form of suspension training where you use body weight as resistance. Along with targeting muscles all over the body, TRX workouts challenge balance and coordination and can get the heart rate up for a cardio workout.
What Are the Benefits of TRX Suspension Workouts?
When our clients ask us, “Is TRX a good workout?”, we always answer with an enthusiastic “YES!”. By challenging the entire body and building strength and balance simultaneously, TRX training can be an incredible workout.
There are a variety of potential benefits of TRX workouts, including:
- Stronger core
- Improved coordination
- Better balance
- Burn fat
- Improved mobility
- Cardiovascular workouts
- Suitable for a wide range of ages and fitness levels
- Improved strength
- Effective full-body workout
- Utilises the benefits of bodyweight training
- Perfect for individuals who want to switch up their workout regime and gain new motivation
Is TRX Good for Beginners?
With TRX suspension training, any exercise can be easily modified. With a simple adjustment of your foot placement or the angle of your body, you can completely change the difficulty of a move.
Whether you want to challenge yourself by making moves harder or need to modify a move to maintain proper form as you learn it, the TRX system makes it easy to make adjustments. Generally, the more upright you stand, the easier a move will be since you are holding up less body weight.
The length of the straps can also be adjusted to modify the difficulty of moves or help you hold a different position.
Once you master a few key moves, you can continue making adjustments to increase the difficulty and use more of your body weight during moves.
TRX training can also be an excellent yet effective low-impact workout. While certain moves get even harder when a jump is added, it is easy to skip the jumping and keep the entire workout low impact.
TRX Tips for Beginners
- Take it slow — Perform each move deliberately and slowly and take your time getting to know the apparatus
- Ask for help — As with any of our classes, we always encourage you to ask for help or a modification if needed
- Master basic exercises first — Learn the fundamentals first before trying advanced moves
- Focus on form — Work on maintaining good form throughout each exercise to ensure you are getting the most out of each workout
- Try different angles and strap lengths — Find what works for you and your current fitness level with a focus on good form
- Maintain a tight core — Focus on keeping your abs engaged throughout each move
Examples of Beginner TRX Exercises
If you are new to TRX, there are certain basic TRX moves you’ll learn first. Some of the fundamental TRX exercises include:
- TRX Planks — A challenging spin on regular planks that involves placing your feet in each of the foot cradles while performing a plank
- TRX Squats — With the added stability from the handles, you can focus on proper squat form while getting deeper into the move
- TRX Chest Press — A variation on a pushup, this move challenges the entire upper body and core while being easier on the wrist joints
- TRX Triceps Press — An amazing way to target the triceps and upper body
- TRX Step Back Lunge — Another classic move with a TRX twist that utilises the added stability provided by the handles
- TRX Hip Press — A challenging variation of a standard glute bridge
What To Expect From a TRX Class With Us
As with all of our fitness classes, you can always expect us to:
- Make you feel welcome
- Keep you safe throughout the workout
- Teach you how to use the TRX system properly and safely
- Guide you through the different exercise moves
- Offer modifications based on your fitness level and comfort level
- Be available for any questions
Is TRX Training Right for Me?
TRX is a fun, effective full-body workout that is suitable for all levels. We can modify each move to match your strengths and adjust exercises as necessary to meet your current fitness level.
You’ll find yourself getting leaner, more defined, and stronger within a few classes. If you love our Pilates classes but want to keep your body guessing, we invite you to contact us with any questions about our TRX training or use our convenient online scheduler to book a TRX class with us.